View Procedure

Procedure NameApplicaition for an Export License Under Control of Goods
Issuing Agency: Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism
Incumbent Office Name: Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism
Address: Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism
P.O. Box 30366
City Centre
Fax:  +265 (0) 1 770 680
Email: /
Phone: +265 (0) 1775 618


Step Description
1  Exporter completes application form which can be downloaded on the Malawi Trade Portal website (, or obtained at Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism, Trade department. 
2 Exporter attaches a business registration certificate, proof of contract, certificate of incorporation, TPIN (tax payers identification number) and a recommendation letter from the Secretary for Agriculture, Irrigation and Water Development or a Veterinary Health Vertificate from the Department of Animal Health in case of agricultural products: maize, rice, soya beans and hides and skins. Scrap metal just requires an application letter to the Ministry with the relevant documentation attached (copy of certificate of business registration, TPIN, proof of contract and proof of remittance if it’s not a first time application).

Exporter lodges the application through Department of Trade

4 This application is then submitted to the Minister of Industry, Trade and Tourism for consideration.  
5 Licence is processed within a minimum of  5 working days.  
6 The licence if approved by the Minister is valid for a maximum of 6 months and it is not renewable.



The following form/s are used in this procedure
TitleDescriptionCreated DateUpdated DateIssued By
Application for export licence under control of goods act19-01-201619-01-2016Ministry of Trade This is Dowload File
Export Licensing Form COG17-02-201617-02-2016Malawi Revenue AuthorityThis is Dowload File
This procedure applies to the following measures
NameMeasure TypeAgencyDescriptionCommentsLegal DocumentValidity ToMeasure Class
Export License Requirement - Control of GoodsLicensing RequirementMinistry of Trade Restricted commodities require an import or export license. See the "Guide to Imports and Exports"To enforce national standards for products, commodities, materials, services, practices, and operations and to promote adoption of such standards.Control of Goods Act (18:08)31-12-9999Good